Mount Comfort Cemetery and the Origin of Southgate Drive
Circa 1947 --Entrance to MOUNT COMFORT Cemetery on South Kings Highway
Mount Comfort was the name of the Ashford Family's 147 acre farm which they sold to William Tasker Weir in 1852 and is the site of the modern Dignity Memorial cemetery located at 6600 South Kings Highway. The cemetery is adjacent to the Beacon Field Airport® acreage.
The following newspaper article records the September 23, 1949, 2 PM dedication of Mount Comfort Cemetery. The event was an all star celebration with Baron Cameron of Fairfax (Thomas Brian McKelvie) making a rare public appearance to deliver the dedication address. Baron Fairfax was a direct descendant of Thomas Lord Fairfaxthe proprietor of the Northern Neck during colonial times.
The Reverend H. S. Southgate, pastor of Trinity Methodist Church in Alexandria, gave the invocation. Southgate Drive is directly across from the entrance to Mt. Comfort cemetery.